It's A Zoo Baby Boy!

by Joanne James13. March 2014 09:40

Good morning everyone! When I came to make my card for this week's Paper Players challenge, I decided that Anne Marie's colour challenge this week would be perfect for a baby boy card, so using this week's CAS(E) this Sketch layout, I set to work:

After much experimentation, I decided to keep it clean and simple - this is what I came up with:

I stamped the giraffe from the Zoo Babies set in Crushed Curry, then inked up the little toucan bird with my Stampin' Write markers and lined him up with my Stamp-a-ma-jig to look as if he was sitting on the back of the giraffe. I then added a little 'vintage' taffeta ribbon bow in Marina Mist to the giraffe and rounded one corner of the panel for interest. I stamped my sentiment in Marina Mist on a second panel in the same colour and used Smoky Slate as my base. I love this grey; it's so soft and subtle and for this card worked much better than the blue or yellow, which looked too overpowering. I then simply added a few scored lines towards the bottom of the card and rounded the corner to echo the shape of the Whisper White panel.

I made so many variations of this card, with various embossed elements and fancy tags, but in the end I didn't like any as much as this one - why is it sometimes the simplest designs are the most difficult to create? This card is destined for Ben's teacher at school, who has just finished teaching to begin her maternity leave. We don't know what she's expecting, so at some point I need to make a baby girl card too just in case, although Ben is convinced that she is bound to give birth to a boy - the testosterone levels of a class of 21 boys and one girl will have influenced from beyond the womb, he's convinced!

Do check out the challenge pages above for more design inspiration - there are some great examples from both the design teams and in the galleries. I am also linking my card up with Addicted to CAS where the challenge this week is 'Baby' - I'm hoping to find lots of ideas for my 'baby girl' alternative there!

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Cards | Stamping

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
3/13/2014 7:13:36 PM #

What a cute CAS card,Joanne! Love the bird sitting on the giraffe's back, so adorable. Thanks for playing along with us this week at The Paper Players!

3/13/2014 8:51:23 PM #

Thanks Sandy! These colours turned out to be just right for a baby boy card.

Deepti
Deepti United States
3/13/2014 7:39:10 PM #

This is adorable, love the colors n the images u picked Smile thank you for sharing with ATCAS!!

3/13/2014 8:52:35 PM #

Thanks Deepti for your kind comment - love your work!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
3/14/2014 3:21:49 PM #

JoAnne, this is adorable.  I love the little matching bow on the giraffe neck.  this card really made me smile.  So glad you joined the Paper Players this week
Jaydee

3/16/2014 8:35:19 PM #

Thanks Jaydee - with such a simple layout, I felt the card needed a little something and the bow just finished it off. Love The Paper Players - you and the rest of the DT are so inspirational!

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
3/15/2014 4:56:56 AM #

Too cute, Joanne! You are right, these are fun colors for a baby boy card, for sure. Love the way your used the stamp set. The bitty bow and the scored lines are a fun touch. Thanks so much for playing along with my colors this week at the Paper Players! Smile

3/16/2014 8:36:13 PM #

Thanks Anne Marie - loved your colour combo this week!

vicki dutcher
vicki dutcherUnited States
3/18/2014 2:28:09 AM #

Cute images for this card - Thanks for joining in with ATCAS!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current September hostess code:

TSEGA7FU

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!