A Card with the Midas Touch? CCMC287

by Joanne James28. January 2014 22:06

After all the news-related posts of the day, I thought I would share a quick creative post of a card I made using some of the new products that feature in the Stampin' Up! Spring-Summer catalogue released today. Today's card is my entry for this week's sketch challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary; last week I was delighted to be chosen as one of the 'Top 3 Picks' for the colour challenge with the card I featured here. This week's challenge is to design a card using the following sketch layout:

Here is my finished card:

So if you were expecting spring pastels, I'm afraid you're already disappointed!! This card is something of a departure for me - I don't often use black as a card base, but I was inspired recently by this card created by Justin Krieger (check out his blog here - I love his style.) and decided that black would provide the perfect backdrop to showcase lots of the new gold products that feature in the new seasonal catalogue.

I stayed quite faithful to the sketch and edged my oval in gold foil and embellished with a layered flower using the Flower Shop and Mixed Bunch stamp sets. I embossed the bottom flower in black on Very Vanilla and the top layer in gold on black to give it a luxurious feel - the photo at the bottom of this post really shows the detail. I finished with a vintage button threaded with the new gold baker's twine and some gold foil leaves punched from my two step bird punch. The background banner is made from one of the gold vellum sheets, another new product; each pack contains 3 designs (it also includes a spot and a heart pattern) and I love them! I finished by adding my floating dots of gold sequins, which I removed from the thread so that I could use them individually. Oh and I almost forgot - the 'Live happy' sentiment is one of those included in the Sale-A-Bration stamp set, 'You're Lovely'.

I hope you like my card; if you would like to see what the designers and other participants did with this sketch, pop over to the CCMC page for more design inspiration.

Back tomorrow with a video tutorial for you and an exciting make using a new stamp set from the Spring-Summer seasonal catalogue. Until then, happy stampin'!

Table built using Stampin' Up! Product Table Builder from The Crafty Owl.

Deb
DebUnited States
1/29/2014 4:24:43 AM #

WOW! This is gorgeous! Love the black and gold! Very classy! All the elements work beautifully together! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

1/29/2014 9:48:15 AM #

Thanks Deb - not a colour combination I'm usually drawn to, but amazing what the inspiration of others can lead you to!

Lisa Young
Lisa YoungUnited States
1/29/2014 10:56:45 AM #

You created a stunning card! I love black and gold together and the way you used the two colors is so striking. Thanks for joining us again this week at Create with Connie and Mary.

1/29/2014 11:29:26 AM #

Thanks Lisa - I'm normally more of a 'silver' person, but the gold items in the new catalogue are lovely and very 'on trend'!

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
1/29/2014 12:14:15 PM #

How pretty!  This is so striking...and I love how shiny the gold items are!  Very nice job!  Into my faves it goes!  Great job on the Create with Connie and Mary sketch challenge this week!

1/29/2014 2:27:02 PM #

Thank you kindly Lisa - this card is super shiny for me!

LeAnne
LeAnneUnited States
1/29/2014 2:03:45 PM #

What a striking card, Joanne!  Very bold with the gold & black, I love it!

1/29/2014 2:28:13 PM #

Thanks LeAnne - I'm finally getting on board with using gold on something other than Christmas cards!

Mary Brown
Mary BrownUnited States
1/29/2014 8:28:01 PM #

Oh my word...this is just soooo STUNNING!!!  The black is the perfect choice for the background!  Did I mention STUNNING!!!  Thanks for playing along with us on the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

1/30/2014 11:27:22 AM #

Thank you so much Mary - it is very unusual for me to choose black as a card base, but for this card it seemed the only choice. So glad you liked it - I'm blushing at your kind comment! Looking forward to another challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary - you ladies are so inspirational.

Margaret Raburn
Margaret RaburnUnited States
1/30/2014 1:26:28 AM #

What a gorgeous card!  I love all the gold elements and how dramatic they look against the black background.  What a beautiful take on the sketch!  Thanks for joining us for the Create with Connie and Mary challenge this week!

1/30/2014 11:28:51 AM #

Thank you Margaret - I can see me working more with this colour combination for sure.

Kathy James
Kathy JamesUnited Kingdom
2/5/2014 11:22:48 AM #

Just one word describes this ........... gorgeous!

Pauline A
Pauline AUnited Kingdom
2/10/2014 9:17:11 PM #

Love this card, wonderful

2/10/2014 10:11:17 PM #

Thank you Pauline - I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Current July hostess code:

PTWMKJED

Host In June And Get Extra Rewards

Shop or host a party in June to get an extra £20 Stampin' Rewards with sales of £200+. Read more here