Cute Fruit with Oranges, Lemons and Limes

by Joanne James24. July 2020 20:56

I had some new goodies arrive yesterday and finally got some time to play this afternoon so I'm just popping by to share a quick card that I made for this week's Freshly Made Sketches challenge with the current colour palette over at Color Throwdown:

I was intrigued by those circles on Jen's sketch and I had an idea that I thought might work with one of my new stamp sets - take a look:

Cute Fruit - The 'Cute Fruit' stamp set is so fun! The set includes lots of different fruit and in addition to the fruit and some great punny sentiments, there are also a selection of cute faces - I mean, what's better than a banana? Well, a banana with a face of course!! I haven't used the faces on today's card, but rest assured they will make an appearance at some point.

Let's Talk Sketch - I was musing over how to represent those little circles when it occurred to me they could be slices of oranges, lemons and limes. I decided to try out my idea, but this necessitated me altering my card base to a horizontal rather than vertical one, to allow me to scale my fruit accordingly and still keep the elements of the sketch in proportion. You can still see the sketch layout though and how it inspired my card. I would never have thought about using this set in this way so the sketch was a great way to stretch my creative thinking.

Citrus Sparkle - I stamped each of my small citrus slices in Granny Apple Green and retired Pineapple Punch and Grapefruit Grove and punched them out with my retired 1" punch. I decided to create a large orange slice for the larger circle in the sketch and did this by layering some circles of cardstock and adding some segments cut from retired glimmer paper that I coloured orange with some ink and a sponge dauber for some extra sparkle which you can see better on the photo below:

I added some clear Wink of Stella to my stamped citrus slices too for some added lustre and my card was complete. So what do you think of today's citrus-y card? Does it work for you? Do leave me a comment - I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy your evening and I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
7/25/2020 4:45:07 AM #

Such a fun and happy card Joanne! Love the color combo and those layered citrus slices. They remind me of a candy that my grandmother always used to have while I was growing up. We always called them "fruit slices" but I guess the best way to describe them was that they looked like a fruit slice dipped in sugar  with kind of a gummy/jelly inside. I might be making them sound really unappealing with my description actually. Haha! They were quite good, as I remember them. Such a fun card! Hugs!

LEANNE M PUGLIESE
LEANNE M PUGLIESEUnited States
7/25/2020 3:47:03 PM #

Yum, I love this!  What a fun way to use those slices....great summery citrus colors too!

Jen Mitchell
Jen MitchellUnited States
7/26/2020 1:02:51 AM #

I love how you used slices of fruit for the circles on the sketch.  So creative!  What a fabulous, colorful card.  Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Deborah Wheeler
Deborah WheelerUnited Kingdom
7/27/2020 7:47:48 AM #

Great card - such a clever idea from the sketch.  Like the fresh colours you've used

Broni
BroniUnited States
7/27/2020 1:59:01 PM #

Soooo cute!!  Thanks so much for joining us at the Color Throwdown this week!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
7/27/2020 11:41:39 PM #

Very clever thinking! I like the big, sparkly citrus wheel you created - again, clever thinking. It all results in such a bright, cheery card that would be a pleasure to receive.

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current November hostess code:

469YSGD2

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!

Share joy with the global Joy To The World Paper Pumpkin Kit! Available 3 November whilst stocks last!