An Unusual Christmas Crowd for PP471

by Joanne James8. December 2019 09:00

Today it's Sunday and time for this week's new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's the turn of the fabulous LeAnne to host this week and for our last challenge of the year she has a colour challenge for you to work with:

I used Karren's sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches (turned through 90 degrees) for my layout this week and decided to use this fun stamp 'Christmas Crowd' again but in a somewhat less traditional way - take a look:

I stamped the image in Versamark then heat embossed it in silver and coloured with my Stampin' Blends, adding either clear Wink of Stella or Dazzling Diamonds glitter to the white areas for added sparkle. I heat embossed my silver sentiment onto vellum so that it wouldn't overwhelm the main image too much and added both a strip of Mercury Glass acetate over the Seaside Spray border edge of my card, with a strip of Seaside Spray scalloped edge linen ribbon to border my piece of Whisper White. A sprinkle of snowflake sequins completes my card.

Normally I wouldn't dream of colouring this image in anything but traditionally festive colours such as red and green (I mean, a blue Santa?!) yet I thought it would be a good opportunity to show how even a large image can be successfully coloured with only a few colours and supplies and whilst a break from the norm, I quite like the finished result. What do you think? Do you ever dress Santa in anything other than red or is that an absolute no-go?

The Paper Players Design Team
Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

We understand that you are super busy in the run up to Christmas however we hope you can find a few minutes to craft along with us this week! Since it's our last challenge of 2019 before we take a break for Christmas, it's also time for us to say goodbye to our wonderful trio of 2019 guest designers: Su Mohr, Wanda Cullen and Windy Ellard. All three of them have proved worthy guest designers and share some fabulous creations with us this year. We will be sad to see them leave us and would like to thank each of them for their efforts. We look forward to welcoming in a new team of guest designers in the new year - more about that in a later PP post!

Enjoy your day; I have a busy day with a quick Christmas shopping trip, followed by the Christmas swim squad outing to the Snow Dome for some winter sledging and then an evening of tree decorating and Christmas card writing. I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
12/8/2019 7:19:36 PM #

Such a fun card, Joanne! I just love this festive little bunch with the added sparkly details. I actually really like that you showcased this image in non-traditional colors. I'm sure Santa gets bored with that red suit all the time, so why not shake things up a bit? I especially love that pop of Mercury Glass acetate. I think it adds so much detail to an already fantastic card. Have a great day!

Su Mohr
Su MohrUnited States
12/8/2019 7:27:05 PM #

Joanne, Your Christmas crowd is so cute in these colors! The detail along the bottom is wonderful! And, I can imagine how it sparkles in person!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
12/8/2019 8:11:35 PM #

The change to subtle colours really does change the look. I like the edge of the ribbon peeping out from the main panel: nice detailing. The only Santa stamp I have is the retired one from last year - Santa on a scooter and he was always red, I'm afraid. Smile

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
12/8/2019 10:21:38 PM #

What a crew! How fun...such a cute card!

Kim S
Kim SUnited States
12/9/2019 2:07:34 AM #

What a sweet scene - I love it in the soft colors! Thank you for playing along with us this week at Freshly Made Sketches.

Vicky
VickyUnited Kingdom
12/9/2019 8:12:41 PM #

This is gorgeous Joanne and I bet Santa's very grateful to you for letting him have a change of clothing! These soft colours are REALLY calling to me and I hope I have time to join in! Vicky x

Lee Ann Barrett
Lee Ann BarrettUnited States
12/10/2019 12:13:23 AM #

What a great combination of challenges.  Your image is perfect for this sketch and that Mercury glass paper is gorgeous!  I may need to give this color combo a whirl.  Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

12/10/2019 1:32:30 AM #

It's funny you should make your Santa suit blue...I just saw a bright blue one on FB today!  Yours is much nicer....I love the silver embossing and how you colored the whole image!  Just such a fun, cute image!  Thanks for making my colors look fabulous this week!

Cécile RIBON
Cécile RIBONFrance
12/10/2019 1:14:59 PM #

Wow! Your created such an adorable Christmas scene. I'm in love with this cheery crowd. Thanks so much for sharing at Freshly Made Sketches.

Windy Ellard
Windy EllardUnited States
12/10/2019 2:26:23 PM #

Adorable card and I love how it looks so soft and snowy.  Thanks for all the inspiration this year on the design team and I can't wait to continue to play in the new year. Merry Christmas!

12/10/2019 7:36:36 PM #

I love the mercury glass!  It is so fun to see Santa's gang in different clothes.   I love red, but this is so fun!
Your card just makes me smile!  I hope your have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS, My Friend!  XX

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
12/11/2019 2:54:19 AM #

Oh my gosh...how cute is this Santa in a blue suit, Joanne! Such a fun crew of characters! The mercury glass over the Seaside Spray is so pretty.  Have a wonderful Christmas!

Wanda Cullen
Wanda CullenUnited States
12/11/2019 3:50:26 PM #

Your crowd looks quite fabulous in these colors and I imagine Santa might "get the blues" every now and then! Smile  I want to thank you for the warm reception and so many gracious comments while I guested with your team this past year! It was great getting to know you ladies a bit better and will say you all are the best! Wishing you a very happy and blessed Christmas!

Sale-A-Bration 2020

Shop, host, join - during Sale-A-Bration there's never been a better time! Offers valid until 31st March, whilst supplies last. Download your copy of the Sale-A-Bration leaflet by clicking on the image above.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator?For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. During Sale-Bration, you will also receive a mini paper cutter, a 6"x6" Designer Series paper Sampler pack and a stamp set of your choice! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

Current January hostess code: