Follow Your Art In Purple In Under 10 Minutes

by Joanne James5. August 2019 16:00

Today I'm sharing a card that I made yesterday for the new challenge over at As you See It using this week's sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches, that also works for the challenge over at Just Add Ink this week:

Whilst I didn't set out to combine all three of these challenges this week, with the challenge over at As You See It being speed stamping, today's card was definitely no accident - take a look:

It's All In The Preparation - I'll be honest: I rarely make a card in under 10 minutes! For me the fun is in the planning and designing and I often make multiple bits and pieces and 'tinker' with my cards until I'm happy with them. That said, it can be done - the key is in the preparation. Fortunately for me, the AYSI speed stamping challenge requires you to complete a card in under 10 minutes and the clock starts as soon as you put ink to paper; you can decide on your design and gather your supplies in advance. So I grabbed Jen B's FMS sketch (a great go-to design) my co-ordinating shades of purple (Gorgeous Grape and Highland Heather) in cardstock, ink and markers, a Whisper White card base, stamps, dies, Big Shot and got ready to start my timer!

'C' Is For Craft - I decided to base my card around the stamps and dies in the 'Follow your Art' suite. I stamped my ink bottle and clip (and a couple of sentiments to diecut, although I didn't then use these as I stamped directly onto my card base) then ran them through my Big Shot with the purple die cut pieces, making two runs to get the duplicates. I added a quick dash of colour to my stamped diecut pieces, then set about constructing. It was only when I had finished my card that I realised it would be perfect for Just Add Ink this week too; it will a least spare the girls another of my Christmas cards, which I seem to have made for their last few challenges!!

Speedy Indeed - So I did work at fever pace and my desk looked like a bomb had gone off once I'd finished, but I managed to finish my card in 9 minutes and 46 seconds - hurrah! It was helped by the fact that my card base and mat layers were already cut to size - I keep a box of sizes that I use a lot ready prepared so that I can just 'grab and go' - the most time-consuming aspects were poking out the paper clips from the dies without tearing and tying the twine bow. Purple is one of my favourite colours, so this was a fun speed challenge indeed! Lastly, a disclaimer: I decorated a co-ordinating envelope too, but completed this outside of the speed stamping time - I couldn't quite manage this in the time constraints as well!

I like my finished card so much I think I'm going to create a few more of these and send them to the ladies who are booked to attend my Creative Escapes Craft Retreat in October - this is the perfect time to stay up late and craft together!! I still have a couple of spaces left if you would like to join us for a fun weekend; you can get the full details here.

Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
8/5/2019 7:31:49 PM #

WOW! Fantastic under-10 card and great combination of challenges. Like you, I like to tinker and perfect as I go so as I was making my card, I was mentally pushing back the impulses to 'just add', 'just change this bit', 'just..."! Great use of the set too - the ribbons on the envelope look so 3D. Thanks for joining in with our speed challenge this week at As You See It.

Linda Callahan
Linda CallahanUnited States
8/5/2019 8:20:35 PM #

Ok I really need to try this!  I don’t think I have ever made a card in ten minutes!  You succeeded beautifully!  The purple is fabulous and all of your crafting elements worked perfectly with the sketch!

8/5/2019 9:45:47 PM #

Yippeee!  This is totally awesome (I predict a winner for sure from at least one of these challenges), and totally adorable as well!  I know those paper clip diecuts are a bit fiddly, I speak from experience!  Great way to use the colors too!  Thanks for playing with us and managing to complete your card in under 10!  Woohoo!

Di
DiAustralia
8/7/2019 2:43:17 AM #

What a fun way to use the our JAI C challenge & the sketch challenge too, Joanne. I love all the little cluster of monochromatic crafty elements together. As to making a card in 10 mins - big congrats. I don't think I've ever managed that. Thanks for playing along with us as JAI again Laughing
Di

Nikki Spencer
Nikki SpencerAustralia
8/7/2019 10:38:28 AM #

Simple and fun! The perfect crafty creation for our Just Add Ink “C” challenge. Thanks for sharing.

Chantell Randall
Chantell RandallAustralia
8/7/2019 1:25:04 PM #

Hi Joanne,  this is a lovely selection of images and dies - I really love that little ink bottle.  Chantell x x

Heather Cooper
Heather CooperCanada
8/7/2019 10:12:57 PM #

Ah-ma-zing what you can do in under 10 min! This card has a lot of little add ons, too! Great layout and way to combine all those challenges Joanne! I love the fun, crafty vibe of it all! Thanks for playing along speedily with us all at As You See It Challenges!

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current October hostess code: