Night In Bethlehem One Layer Card

by Joanne James18. August 2017 20:16

had a little crafty time today and was creating with more of my pre-order stash and decided I just about had time to squeeze in a card for the current challenge over at Less Is More (this was my starting point for today's card but I'm too late to link up unfortunately) which also fits the bill over at Stamp Ink Paper and ATCAS this week:

I went with a rather less obvious vehicle for my one layer card today - take a look:

Since the dictionary definition of 'vehicle' is 'a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land, such as a car, lorry, or cart' I think my donkey more than qualifies; not the most common mode of transport granted, but one that transported Mary on that momentous journey to Bethlehem so many years ago.

I've used a combination of stamps from one of my favourite sets in the new Stampin' Up! Autumn-Winter catalogue called 'Night In Bethlehem' to create my card today. It has a set of co-ordinating framelits which I will share another day; today's card uses the stamp set alone, with some additional masking and brayering to create the illusion of depth and layers, finished with an embossed star. I also stamped the verse that comes with this set on the inside too (in my second colourway):

Little more than stamps, ink and paper today - and I love this card! In fact I liked it so much I made a second version in an alternative colour combination too:

Which one do you prefer? Leave me a comment below - I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

19/08/2017 00:34:03 #

Oh I love both of them...but am partial to the blue one!  I am so glad to see this being used...I got it and haven't gotten it inky and wasn't quite sure where to begin!  Your lovely creation has given me a starting point...I love the sponged area!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
19/08/2017 19:59:53 #

Thanks LeAnne - I wondered if I had been a little to liberal with the stars on the blue one, but I too love this colourway. I just love this set, with or without the framelits. So many possibilities! The sponged sky added some much-needed extra colour to the background.

Rita Yure
Rita YureUnited States
19/08/2017 01:13:42 #

Love both of the cards.  I got this stamp set and was waiting to see what other people were going to do with it.  I think I am going to use your idea and combine the colors.  I like the star gold and the buildings gold.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
19/08/2017 20:02:54 #

Thanks Rita! The colours for the second card didn't photograph as well, so I've listed here for you so you have the extra detail: sponged sky in Melon Mambo and Pumpkin Pie, buildings in Crushed Curry and Mary & Joseph and the sentiment in Fresh Fig. I would love to see your version when complete!

Bobby
BobbyUnited States
19/08/2017 15:33:26 #

Your masking and layout really put a lot of impact into this CAS one layer card, Joanne.  I'm so glad you shared it with us at Addicted to CAS.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
19/08/2017 20:04:08 #

Thanks Bobby I'm so glad you like it, I got in just in time! I put a lot of thought into the layout, as is often the way with a one layer card. Worth it though for the end result!

Tina A Riddle
Tina A RiddleUnited States
19/08/2017 23:29:38 #

Beautiful card Joanne!  What a cool take on the travel theme for this week!  Thanks for joining us at Stamp, Ink, Paper!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
20/08/2017 16:25:35 #

Thanks Tina - I guess journeys and travel can be interpreted in lots of different ways!

Carolyn Lindenmayer
Carolyn LindenmayerAustralia
20/08/2017 05:06:49 #

Hi Joanne, I love your take on our Travel theme this week.  That is a beautiful Chrissy card.  Thanks so much for joining us at Stamp, Ink, Paper.  Carolyn xx

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
20/08/2017 16:25:55 #

Thank you Carolyn - so glad you like it!

Ginger Pelfrey
Ginger Pelfrey United States
20/08/2017 23:24:41 #

Love your stunning one layer card Joanne!! This is exactly what I try to accomplish when I make one layer cards but have never made one this beautiful. I love that you used the donkey for our travel theme. Thank you so much for joining us this week at Stamp Ink Paper Smile

Amanda Bates
Amanda BatesUnited Kingdom
31/08/2017 00:14:31 #

Stunning card Joanne... and hard to say which I prefer... usually I would say blues as I think you will know...but (unusually) the oranges have really caught my eye....

Wendie
WendieUnited States
06/09/2017 22:41:19 #

Your beautiful cards have convinced me to get this bundle (I'm a demo). Do you have directions on how to make the masked & brayered background?  I couldn't find it under "how to" Pinterest board.  Thank you so much.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
07/09/2017 09:56:24 #

Hi Wendie. So glad you liked my card and happy to be an enabler - I just love this bundle!

For the masked and brayered background, I simply masked off a rectangle for the sky using a piece of cardstock with a rectangle cut out of it as a stencil (but you could achieve the same effect using post-it notes, then used a sponge brayer to gradually work over the ink colours (Pool Party, Bermuda Bay and Island Indigo on the blue one, Peekaboo Peach, Pumpkin Pie and Melon Mambo on the orange one) in a horizontal motion to build up a graduated colour. Once I'd done this, I simply stamped the remaining elements on top.

I hope that makes sense! I would definitely recommend using the sponge brayers - so much easier than a traditional rubber one to get an even finish. Have a go - I'd love to see your version!

Wendie
WendieUnited States
07/09/2017 13:10:55 #

Thank you so very much for your reply.  I can't wait to try this. Should have my bundle by early next week!

Earn this fabulous festive stamp set for FREE when you host a party with qualifying sales between 1 September and 31 October. Find out more here.

Seasonal Catalogue

Click here to view and download a copy of the 2017 Autumn-Winter Stampin' Up! Seasonal Catalogue which runs from 1 September 2017 - 2 January 2018.

Current September hostess code:

KJ9FSDMS

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator? For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. That's £31 OF FREE PRODUCT! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

2017-18 Annual Catalogue

Click on the catalogue for a full list of current SU! supplies - if you would like to order any of the items featured, please drop me a line at joanne@thecraftyowl.co.uk or give me a call on 07773 421446 - I'd be happy to help.