Garden In Bloom Vellum Fronted Card

by Joanne James5. May 2016 08:05

Today it's time for a new challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary and this week we have a sketch for you:

SIP Tic Tac Toe 46 800

For today's card I decided to go floral - take a look:

English Garden - I am on a quest to use up my retiring papers so I started my card today with a piece of patterned English Garden Designer Series Paper. There are such pretty patterns in this set and I went for a rather busy one, with lots of colour and pattern.

Vellum Soft - I decided to tone down the vibrancy and business of my DSP by overlaying it with a piece of vellum. This softens it and also gave me a surface to stamp my sentiment onto, which allows it to stand out a little more against the pattern of the background. I took my inspiration from some of the samples on page 119 of the current seasonal catalogue where this technique is used to great effect.

Garden In Bloom - I used the 'Garden in Bloom' stamp set for my sentiment and butterfly, layering two colours for my butterfly wings before stamping with the outline stamp. I also added a liberal does of clear Wink of Stella to the finished butterfly for a beautiful sparkle.

I also made a second card using the same design but an alternative colourway, which I'm linking up with the team over at Stamp Ink Paper where they have a fun tic-tac-toe board. I've also included a sneak peek product on this one too - check out the thick Melon Mambo baker's twine:

I went across the board, top row - flowers, butterfly, twine - but by coincidence it also fits down the middle too - butterfly, birthday, patterned paper. I think the pink against the navy has a little more 'pop' than the first card, but I like them both; do leave me a comment and let me know which one you prefer!

Do visit the other Design Team members to see what they did with this week's sketch; there's lots of inspiration over on their blogs too!

Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

• Garden In Bloom Photopolymer Stamp Set
  • A4 Vellum Cardstock

Tags: , , , , , ,

Cards | Shop Online | Stamping

Jenny Engelke
Jenny EngelkeUnited States
5/6/2016 3:45:32 AM #

Super color combos on both cards! This makes me want to dive into my neglected vellum stash!

Samantha
SamanthaUnited Kingdom
5/6/2016 1:33:07 PM #

Love the way you have used the vellum.

Ginger Pelfrey
Ginger PelfreyUnited States
5/6/2016 2:57:51 PM #

Beautiful card Joanne! The layer of vellum just makes your card even more beautiful. Thank you so much for joining us this week at Stamp Ink PaperSmile

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
5/7/2016 5:05:54 AM #

Both cards are great!  Love your take on this sketch!  Love the vellum overlay!  Great way to use the retiring papers.

Tina Riddle
Tina RiddleUnited States
5/8/2016 1:24:35 AM #

Wow Joanne, what a masterpiece this is!  I just love how the vellum softens it and makes it even more gorgeous!  Thanks so much for joining us at Stamp, Ink, Paper for our Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge this week!

Jan Tinklenberg
Jan TinklenbergUnited States
5/8/2016 5:26:13 AM #

I love the touch of vellum to tone down that paper! Great cards!

Chris Slogar
Chris SlogarUnited States
5/8/2016 2:19:11 PM #

Both are great, but I am a big fan of navy, and more navy is better!  Great use of the vellum!

Tracy May
Tracy MayUnited Kingdom
5/10/2016 9:22:55 AM #

What a great way to use up DSP! I love the vellum overlay! Such a pretty card Joanne Smile

Jennifer Downey
Jennifer DowneyUnited States
5/10/2016 5:14:04 PM #

Simplicity at it's best!

Sharon Hashimoto Burkert
Sharon Hashimoto BurkertUnited States
5/11/2016 4:32:33 AM #

Love your use of the vellum.  Really soft and pretty.  I am on the quest too but doubt I am going to come close to using all my DSP.  Lovely cards!

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
5/12/2016 1:06:29 PM #

I love how the vellum mutes the busy DSP...need to remember to do that when I think the DSP overwhelmes what I want to do on my card!  Beautiful card, love the color combination!  Great job with the sketch this week!

Sale-A-Bration 2020

Shop, host, join - during Sale-A-Bration there's never been a better time! Offers valid until 31st March, whilst supplies last. Download your copy of the Sale-A-Bration leaflet by clicking on the image above.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator?For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. During Sale-Bration, you will also receive a mini paper cutter, a 6"x6" Designer Series paper Sampler pack and a stamp set of your choice! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

Current February hostess code:

N7UTJ3DY

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Co-ordination Product Release

Step up your co-ordination game by purchasing these exclusive products that co-ordinate with Sale-A-Bration and Spring mini catalogue items. There is no limit to how many you can order, but they are only available 4 February - 31st march whilst supplies last! Read more here.