Snow Friends Jolly Snowman Christmas Card

by Joanne James26. November 2015 08:05

Today it's time for a new challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary and this week we have a great sketch for you:

I had lots of ideas about ways to use this sketch; I eventually settled on this fun card featuring a snowman with a difference:

Instead of stamping a snowman on my card, I decided to create a graphic snowman using my Big Shot and the Snow Friends framelits. I used a card base of extra-thick white cardstock and tucked a strip of red striped Holidays Fancy Foil Vellum don the left hand side. I then added a panel of Soft Sky, onto which I stamped the snowflakes from the Wonderland stamp set in Versamark and heat embossed them in white, before cutting out the snowman shape and scarf and hat, which adhered across the negative space for dimension. I then stamped part of the sentiment from Holly Jolly Greetings directly onto the cardbase in Pacific Point, adding a red glimmer 'jolly' cut from the co-ordinating Christmas Greetings Framelits dies to finish. I also used black glimmer paper for the snowman's hat - both add great sparkle to this card. To finish, I added a few pearls coloured with a red Sharpie as the holly berries for the leaves on the hat.

I love the subtle textures and layering on this card - and it's fun to look at framelits and dies to see how else they can be used beyond the straightforward cutting out of shapes.

Do visit the other Design Team members to see how they interpreted this week's sketch; there's lots of inspiration over on their blogs too!

Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

• Snow Friends Framelits Dies
  • Pearl Basic Jewels
  • Red Glimmer Paper
  • Black Glimmer Paper

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
11/26/2015 12:53:01 PM #

I absolutely LOVE this snowman card!  If I didn't already have my cards done, I'd be casing this beauty!  Happy Thanksgiving!  Great job with the sketch!

Aquarius
AquariusUnited Kingdom
11/26/2015 1:37:08 PM #

A jolly good idea for a card (forgive the pun).  Thanks for sharing the Box Buster idea which I've found to be so useful.

Lisa Young
Lisa YoungUnited States
11/27/2015 12:38:30 AM #

Love your card, Joanne! The entire thing is so darn creative!

Jenny Engelke
Jenny EngelkeUnited States
11/27/2015 5:03:45 AM #

Oh Joanne you are so clever! I am so for dinner of this fun snowman you've created! I'm smitten with the colors and bits of sparkle you've added. This is the perfect interpretation on this week's sketch!  You always seem to come up with amazing ideas! Love your style!!!!!

Jenny Engelke
Jenny EngelkeUnited States
11/27/2015 5:07:06 AM #

Oops...that darn auto correct again! My comment should read "I'm so fond of the colors you've chosen". I guess I'm not so great a proof reading before I save my comments...I better work on that!

Sheri
SheriUnited States
11/27/2015 6:25:05 AM #

OMG..Just love this to bits!!! What a fabulous idea and such a cute card! Smile

11/27/2015 11:37:07 AM #

Oh my gosh, why didn't I think of this!  What an awesome way to use this die!  My mind is swirling with ideas now!  TFS!

Alison Barclay
Alison BarclayAustralia
11/27/2015 11:46:08 PM #

Great card! I love the negative die-cut and the peep of vellum foil on the left hand side. So many lovely elements happening here! Smile

Bridgette Jones
Bridgette JonesUnited States
12/2/2015 1:25:54 AM #

This certainly is a fun card and once again you had me wishing for more things in the catalog! This entire card is adorable and so creative but of course my favorite is the accessorized snow man! Smile

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
12/2/2015 3:07:34 AM #

LOVE this!  So stink in' cute!  And of course it shows off an accessory I didn't purchase...I MUST refrain, but I think this is so much fun!

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: