Howl-o-Ween Treat Matchbox Style Halloween Pop Up Card

by Joanne James4. October 2015 10:00

Did you have fun celebrating World Card Day yesterday? I sent the afternoon crafting, but making home decor rather than cards as Rebecca had a friend round and we spent a couple of hours putting together our Witching Decor Project kits. It did rather put me in the mood for today's new challenge over at The Paper Players! This week it's my turn to host again and since it's the first Sunday in October I have a fun theme challenge for you:

Yes that's right - it's Halloween! I took the opportunity to have some fun with my Howl-o-ween Treat Stamp set and the co-ordinating Boo To You framelits and created something that's been on my general 'to do' list for ages - a matchbox style pop up card. Lots of photos today - here's my card from the outside:

My outer box sleeve is made from Tangelo Twist cardstock decorated with the fun ghost patterned paper from the Happy haunting DSP set - I've been wanting to use this pattern for ages! - and a tag punched with the Ornate Tag Topper punch attached with some Tangelo Twist satin ribbon available on the Clearance Rack currently while stocks last!) My tag is decorated with some bats courtesy of the Project Life Seasonal Snapshot 2015 set and the Trick or Treat sentiment from the Howl-o-Ween treat set. The question is though, which will it be - trick or treat? Let's take a look inside the box:

I made the drawer tray using Basic Black cardstock and my trusty Envelope Punch Board, and lined it with more Happy Haunting DSP. I used my framelits to cut a 'Boo!' out of black glimmer paper - so perfect for Halloween projects - and stamped a bright green owl, complete with pumpkin basket and spider hanging down from a piece of black baker's twine. Here's another view - oh and I backed my owl with a partial spider web doily too:

I made my box quite large so that I could accommodate both my pop up owl and greeting and a little something behind. If you look closely in the photo above you can just catch a glimpse of what it is - it also determined the colour of my owl. Can you see what it is? How about a brightly coloured spider to scare your nearest and dearest:

This time more trick than treat (although I've a feeling there are plenty of little ones out there who may think otherwise, given the potential for the odd practical joke or two!), however you could always include a bar of chocolate instead. I hope you like my fun Halloween card - I think the bright orange spider is my favourite!

The Paper Players Design Team
 Jaydee
Laurie Schmidt
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis
Amy Koenders
Jodi McKinney
Lisa Elton
Anne Marie Hile - on leave

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than three challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I look forward to seeing your Halloween-themed cards this week. I'm off for a morning of basketball and then home for birthday lunch - today it's my husband who's celebrating; I'll share his birthday cards with you later this week.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Jodi McKinney
Jodi McKinneyUnited States
10/4/2015 1:34:59 PM #

How super cute is this Joanne!  ADORABLE You Tricky one!  Smile

10/5/2015 12:59:32 AM #

Joanne, I LOVE this pop up card!  I wish you were here to teach me how to make one!  It is just so FUN!!!!!! You are so clever, My Friend!  The colors, the flying ghost and the elements of surprise just WOW me!  XX

10/5/2015 3:35:36 AM #

This is AMAZING!  Do you have a link or a tutorial for the matchbox?  I could see those "legs" peeking out from behind that owl and I just KNEW it was a spider!  Good thing it wasn't too scary!  AWESOME project!

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
10/6/2015 1:44:55 AM #

Wowzers, Joanne!  This is brilliantly amazing!  What a cool treat--love the pop-up action and your details are incredible.  AbFab, my friend!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
10/6/2015 6:31:31 PM #

Wow! This is amazing, Joanne! Super, super cute pop up and what fun that there is a little scary spider inside. Love it!

Sale-A-Bration 2020

Shop, host, join - during Sale-A-Bration there's never been a better time! Offers valid until 31st March, whilst supplies last. Download your copy of the Sale-A-Bration leaflet by clicking on the image above.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator?For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. During Sale-Bration, you will also receive a mini paper cutter, a 6"x6" Designer Series paper Sampler pack and a stamp set of your choice! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

Current February hostess code:

N7UTJ3DY

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Co-ordination Product Release

Step up your co-ordination game by purchasing these exclusive products that co-ordinate with Sale-A-Bration and Spring mini catalogue items. There is no limit to how many you can order, but they are only available 4 February - 31st march whilst supplies last! Read more here.