Age Awareness Meets Cherry On Top Square Birthday Card

by Joanne James2. August 2015 11:00

It's Sunday and you know what that means: time for a new challenge over at The Paper Players! This week it is the turn of my fellow Brit, the lovely Jaydee, to host and she has a fun theme challenge for you:

Yes - square cards! It's always fun to create a square card for a change - when I saw this week's challenge I knew exactly where I wanted to start: the striped paper in the Cherry On Top stack was calling my name! I'm also linking up with the Friday Mashup where the challenge this week is also square cards, although obviously given my paper choice I decided not to go for the 'mashup' and use the colours over there too. Here's my card:

Now the pattern I chose actually has an off-centre point (check out your paper stack to see what I mean!) so I chose to cut my square of DSP square so that the lines all came together in the centre. I chose to use the 'happy' and 'birthday' sentiments from the 'Age Awareness' set as the focal point for my card - I like the contrasting swirls combined with the lined detail, which I infilled with my Stampin' Write markers in the colours that co-ordinated with the striped paper. To balance my sentiment in the square I also included a couple of the swirls across the top, which I joined together using a Crushed Curry Candy Dot. I simply measured my mats and layers and cut them with my trimmer, but you could always use your Square Framelits to make it easier if you prefer. A great clean and layered card and I love the way the striped paper draws your eye to the sentiment. A colourful custom envelope in Watermelon Wonder completes my card!

The Paper Players Design Team
 Jaydee
Laurie Schmidt
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis
Amy Koenders
Jodi McKinney
Lisa Elton
Anne Marie Hile - on leave

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than three challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

One of the reasons people avoid making a square card is that it often calls for a bespoke envelope. Don't forget about your Envelope Punch Board! Along with the gorgeous new Envelope Paper in the annual catalogue, and my Envelope Expert tool of course, there is no excuse to not make perfectly customised square envelopes (or rectangular for that matter!) every time. No fuss, no wastage, no guesswork required - if you're not already a fan, check out my free Envelope Expert tool today!

I look forward to seeing how you interpret Jaydee's fun challenge and seeing all your square creations in the gallery this week. As you read this I will be flying high somewhere above Europe, on my way back to the rather wetter climes of the UK. Don't worry - I'm doing my best to bring the sunshine back with me everyone! Enjoy the rest of your weekend, however you choose to spend it.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

8/2/2015 12:48:48 PM #

Joanne, this is so fun and happy!  I just love the colors and the striped paper is perfect to draw your eye to the sentiment!  This is a perfect card for anyone!  I love it, My Friend!  XX

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
8/2/2015 2:25:00 PM #

Not only is this card perfect for the challenge but it also happens to coordinate perfectly with the challenge badge!  Great minds think alike, right?!  I love this striped paper and you've used it to great advantage here--love the way it highlights the fun sentiment.  The bright and happy colors are fabulous.  Great card, as always!!  ((Hugs))

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
8/2/2015 9:05:44 PM #

Joanne, this paper is the perfect backdrop to your focal sentiment.   It really draws your eye to the sentiment.  I love the graphic feel of it, too and that you kept the rest of the card so clean.  You certainly proved it's hip to be square!
hugs
jaydee

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
8/3/2015 12:48:41 AM #

The DP paper is SO perfect for a square card. I love how it draws the eyes to the sentiment. SO clever! When I looked at that paper I wondered what I was going to do with it..now I know! Perfect!

8/3/2015 1:46:31 AM #

Super fun, happy, cheerful....everything you need in a birthday card!  CUTE colors and the DSP matches the sentiment so well!

Jodi McKinney
Jodi McKinneyUnited States
8/3/2015 2:10:26 AM #

You rocked the challenge Joanne with this clean and simple yet stunning card!

Lisa
LisaUnited States
8/3/2015 4:15:43 AM #

The patterned paper really draws your eye right to the focal sentiment!! What a fun card!!

Amy Kunkle
Amy KunkleUnited States
8/5/2015 5:20:32 PM #

Joanne, sweet cas square card! Smile I love the extra addition of the marker inside the happy birthday, nice touch! Thanks for joining in our Friday Mashup challenge, too!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
8/6/2015 12:21:49 AM #

What a fun birthday card, Joanne! I love the colors you selected. They are such happy colors!

Sandy mathis
Sandy mathisUnited States
8/7/2015 1:12:44 PM #

Joanne, I love how you perfectly centered the patterned paper, and how your card mimics the challenge badge! Very cool!

Buy 3 Get 1 Free on selected Designer Series Paper between 4th-30th September! Click here for more details.

Current September hostess code: