Watercolour Wings and an as Light as Air Cotton Paper Butterfly

by Joanne James16. July 2015 08:00

It's Thursday and time for a new challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary, where this week we have a colour challenge for you:

I also used this week's sketch over at Mojo Monday as the inspiration for the layout of today's card, which features my first outing of my new Watercolour Wings stamp set:

I used a base of Crushed Curry and a mat of Basic Black, combined with two co-ordinating papers from the Cherry on Top DSP stack. I embossed a solid panel of Watermelon Wonder using the new Flutterings embossing folder and added this on the left and chose to use the negative space of the Greetings Thinlit die cut for my top layer. I added my butterfly, on which I stamped each of the layers with one of the challenge colours - photopolymer really makes easy work of this kind of triple stamping. The Watermelon Wonder looked slightly orange over the yellow, so I decided to add a small diecut butterfly, cut with the smallest of the Bold Butterfly framelits out of some of the new Cotton Paper in Crushed Curry. This paper is so soft and delicate and perfect for this kind of layering, as well as for flowers and more besides. Here's a close up of the layered butterfly:

So very pretty - I can't wait to stamp this in lots of other colourways too. I hope you like today's card and those of the other Design Team members - we look forward to seeing what you do with this colour palette this week!

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

• Greetings Thinlits Dies
  • Watermelon Wonder A4 Cardstock
  • Whisper White A4 Cardstock
  • Cherry On Top Cotton Paper Assortment

Lisa Young
Lisa YoungUnited States
7/16/2015 2:37:33 PM #

That butterfly is definitely the focal point of your card - it is beautiful! I love the mixture of colors on the first layer and the way you made the top layer with the cotton paper. It really does give it a delicate look.

Bridgette Jones
Bridgette JonesUnited States
7/17/2015 1:18:27 AM #

So pretty! I cannot wait to try that cotton paper! Perfect idea for butterfly wings! I just got my paper order. I ordered it because you inspired me with one of your cards now it looks like I need to make another! ;)

Chris Slogar
Chris SlogarUnited States
7/19/2015 1:33:35 PM #

Thank you for this great idea for the cotton paper!  Lovely card - I especially love how your greeting is the negative space from the framelit!

Jenny Engelke
Jenny EngelkeUnited States
7/20/2015 2:47:25 AM #

This is so pretty and cute, Joanne!  I love the negative space greeting!  Great choices with designer paper too!

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
7/20/2015 2:12:16 PM #

Wonderful card!  Love the layout.  Love how you layered the butterflies...that really looks fabulous!   I don't have any cotton paper, but will need to give it a try...much lighter than card stock it seems and gives a more airy feel.

Alison Barclay
Alison BarclayAustralia
7/20/2015 11:33:03 PM #

You made such a clean and simple card with many beautiful elements. Great use of design! LOVE LOVE that butterfly and the negative sentiment die. Smile

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
7/22/2015 4:20:25 PM #

Stunning!  I have to get that hello greeting now!  lol!  Beautiful card!  Great job with the color challenge this week!

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: