The Power of Two Valentine's Card

by Joanne James7. January 2015 10:21

Good morning everyone! Today I have my card for this week's challenge over at Create with Connie and Mary which uses a fun colour combo:

I was immediately drawn to the new 'Stacked with Love' DSP stack for my card, as the challenge colours are three of those that feature in the pack. As I was musing how to tie the colours in with the black elements and what stamps I should use, I saw this week's sketch over at Mojo Monday and knew immediately what direction I was going to go in. Here is my card:

I am always a little wary of mixing DSPs on a card; I am a secret hoarder of DSP yet tend to use it quite sparingly on cards and must confess that I wasn't sure that I was ever going to use the big ampersand piece of DSP on a card, yet the minute I saw this sketch I knew it would be perfect to tie the other DSP to my sentiment. I stamped the sentiment from the 'Yippee Skippee' stamp set in Versamark and heat embossed it in black so that it has a nice shine, (although it is difficult to see that from the photograph), having first stamped two hearts in the challenge colours, one overlaid on top of the other. The heart is from the Perfect Pennants set; today's card is a great example of how you can find sentiments and images in 'generic' sets that will enable you to make a themed card such as this one for an anniversary or Valentine's Day, without needing a theme-specific stamp set. I finished my card with some of the now retired satin ribbon from the seasonal catalogue as I liked the shine, but some 1/4" red cotton ribbon would work just as well.

That's my card for today; I'm off to stamp some more samples using my lovely Sale-A-Bration goodies ready for an informal Open House gathering that I'm hosting for my customers on Friday. If you love in or around Northampton and would like to attend, please get in touch for more details.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Cards | Stamping

Mary Brown
Mary BrownUnited States
1/7/2015 12:05:05 PM #

I LOVE how you use the big ampersand print from the Stacked with Love paper stack!  GREAT sentiment!  Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/10/2015 10:16:34 PM #

Thanks Mary! I was really unsure whether I'd find the opportunity to use that ampersand, but this sketch and colour scheme were just perfect!

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
1/7/2015 1:50:36 PM #

Like Mary, I love how you cut down the ampersand from Stacked with Love DSP!  Great details, too, with the ribbon and the double stamped hearts!  LOVE it!  Thanks for playing along with the color challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/10/2015 10:17:54 PM #

Thanks Connie - so glad you liked my card! I started out with the sentiment panel and everything just grew from there.

Deb
DebUnited States
1/7/2015 2:51:31 PM #

Wow! I just love how all your elements work so perfectly together! I never know what to do with that ampersand and this is brilliant! Beautiful card! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/10/2015 10:19:05 PM #

Thanks Deb - that colour combo is great and we were spoiled this week with our DSP options lol!

Nicole Tugrul
Nicole TugrulUnited States
1/7/2015 4:38:31 PM #

I love your card!! The hearts behind the sentiment is lovely!!  Thanks so much for joining the color challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/10/2015 10:25:26 PM #

Thanks Nicole - the colour combination was perfect for my overlapping hearts.

Margaret Raburn
Margaret RaburnUnited States
1/7/2015 5:52:45 PM #

Joanne, I love this card and not only is it a lovely Valentine but it would be perfect for an engagement or anniversary card as well!!  Wonderful details and you really won the challenge of how to use that large ampersand!  Beautiful card and details.  Thanks for creating with us this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/10/2015 10:26:32 PM #

Thank you so much for your kind words Margaret - and I'm thrilled to be one of your Top 3 picks this week with this card!

Debbie Henderson
Debbie HendersonUnited States
1/8/2015 1:08:40 AM #

Great card for Valentine's. Great way to use the DSP and colors! Thanks for playing with us this week at Create with Connie & Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/10/2015 10:26:57 PM #

Thank you Debbie - much appreciated!

Julee
JuleeUnited States
1/9/2015 10:25:53 PM #

So pretty! Thanks for playing along with Mojo Monday!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/10/2015 10:27:45 PM #

Thank you Julee - this was another great sketch from you this week!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current September hostess code:

TSEGA7FU

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!