Specs Appeal?

by Joanne James3. June 2014 21:42

Today's card started out as my entry for this week's challenge over at Create with Connie and Mary; once I'd decided on my design, I also remembered the inspiration photo over at The Card Concept so used this as my colour scheme:

Here is my finished card:

I decided to use the sunglasses (minus the sentiment) from the Spring catalogue hostess set 'To the Point' as the focal point for my card and stamped them onto a circle of Whisper White as I wanted to be able to create the cut out image on the layer behind. I created a patterned layer using punched 3/4" circles on a black square to echo the spot pattern on the sunglasses, and cut out the starburst shape and mat for the circle using my Starburst Framelits. I stamped the retired single stamp 'Spectacular' and my marker pens to create my own DSP background panel, using my stamp-a-ma-jig to enable easy alignment and pattern repeat, and rounded the corners with my Envelope Punch Board. Lastly, I stamped my sentiment onto a flag of Smoky Slate; the sentiment on the original stamp was too small to work here, so I substituted with 'Awesome' from the Cool kid stamp set in the current Spring catalogue (only available until the end of the month).

I had already made a card for the challenge over at The Card Concept, which is scheduled to post later in the week and couldn't be more different to this one, however having chosen my design I couldn't help but think that sunglasses were the only thing missing from the inspiration photo, so I decided to roll with it! My card definitely fits the 'clean and layered' style; the question is, does it really have specs appeal? I'd love to know what you think - feel free to leave me a comment below! I am also linking this card up over at SUO Challenges, where the theme is to create your own background DSP, as I've done here with my 'Spectacular' stamp.

That's all from me today; back tomorrow with another card and news of this week's Wednesday Weekly Deals; until then, happy stampin'!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Cards | Stamping

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
6/3/2014 11:00:07 PM #

SUPER cute card!  Love the sunglasses and the retro style of the colors!  Thanks for playing along with the sketch challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

6/3/2014 11:36:08 PM #

Thanks Connie - I think I got a bit carried away on this one, so glad you found something to like!!

Mary Brown
Mary BrownUnited States
6/4/2014 1:58:28 AM #

WOW...excellent colors and DELIGHTFUL images!  I love how you created you own 'large dotted' dsp - ADORABLE and all those glasses are the greatest!  Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

6/4/2014 10:01:38 AM #

Thanks Mary - I think this is the kind of card you need to wear sunglasses to look at, it's so busy and bright! Glad you like it Smile

Deb
DebUnited States
6/4/2014 2:43:13 PM #

This is such a super fun card! Love the polka dots and the sunglasses! Perfect for summer!! I love this! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

6/4/2014 3:57:30 PM #

Thanks Deb - definitely a summer brights card - I am willing the sunshine to make a longer appearance here in the UK!

Bronwyn Eastley
Bronwyn EastleyAustralia
6/4/2014 10:04:45 PM #

What a fun card.  Love the background created with the specs.  Thanks for joining us at SUO Challenges.

6/5/2014 11:24:52 AM #

Thanks Bronwyn - a fun challenge at SUO this week, creating your own background with stamps can be a great way to work when DSP is scarce!

Nicole Tugrul
Nicole TugrulUnited States
6/4/2014 10:05:49 PM #

What a fun card!  I just love your "focal point"...pun intended!  Thanks so much for joining the sketch challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

6/5/2014 11:25:52 AM #

Thanks Nicole - I wasn't sure if this card would work, but I quite like the specs and bold colours and I'm pleased I made the whole thing work with the sketch.

Julie Gearinger
Julie GearingerUnited States
6/5/2014 3:52:23 AM #

This is so cute!! Love the "spectacles"  used for the background and the focal image- thanks for playing along with us at SUO Challenges Smile

6/5/2014 11:26:51 AM #

Thanks Julie - you can have too much of a good thing, but as a specs wearer myself you can never have too many pairs!

Margaret Raburn
Margaret RaburnUnited States
6/5/2014 5:25:40 AM #

Wow, what a "spectacular" fun card!!  Love how you used the two sets together perfectly and the colors you chose look great with them!!  Thanks for joining us for the sketch challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

6/5/2014 11:27:49 AM #

Thanks Margaret! I've been looking for an opportunity to use the sunglasses in the 'to the point' hostess set and this sketch was perfect!

Debbie Henderson
Debbie HendersonUnited States
6/5/2014 9:55:44 AM #

Such a cute and fun card. I never did get to ink up my Spectacular stamp! Love what you did with it! So glad you played Create with Connie & Mary this week!

6/5/2014 11:28:56 AM #

Oh Debbie that happens to me all too often - so many stamps, so little time! Spectacular was just one I HAD to have though, so it's nice to sneak it in every now and again!

STACEY AILES
STACEY AILESUnited States
6/6/2014 7:03:29 AM #

So much creativity with this card!  I love, love, love the large polka dot background and  how you even carried the polka dots over to your starburst!!  Thanks for playing along at SUO this week!

6/6/2014 11:04:01 AM #

Thanks Stacey - so glad you like it! Once I'd started, I just kept mashing bits together - in a fairly clean and layered way though!

Pauline Adamson
Pauline AdamsonUnited States
6/8/2014 1:10:54 PM #

I can vouch for how wonderful this card is in real life, wonderful x

6/9/2014 9:29:18 AM #

So glad you liked it Pauline - I was hoping you would. Congratulations again on your awesome achievement - here's to the next promotion!

Current July hostess code:

PTWMKJED

Host In June And Get Extra Rewards

Shop or host a party in June to get an extra £20 Stampin' Rewards with sales of £200+. Read more here