Easiest Ever Crackers with the Stampin' Up! Envelope Punch Board - Video Tutorial

by Joanne James16. November 2013 21:42

Yay - it's the weekend! I've been busy doing homework and more convention swaps today, along with other lovely items for my convention friends, all of which I will share with you another time ... because today I'm going to show you the easiest ever way to make Christmas Crackers using the new Stampin' Up! Envelope Punch Board! Not just pictures, but a video too. The new envelope punch board from Stampin' Up! has been hugely popular as lots of my customers will testify and it really is a versatile piece of kit. As I mentioned in a previous post, the board can be used not only to make envelopes, but also boxes in a variety of shapes and sizes and other 3D items such as crackers.

As we are fast approaching the start of the festive season, what better than to make some lovely Christmas crackers to decorate your Christmas tree, as table favours for the festive table or even to house a couple of chocolates as a little gift for someone special? Here are the ones I make in my video, along with a picture of some other ones that I've made:

I've seen lots of videos and tutorials on how to make them in a variety of sizes and styles, but if you want to make lots I think by far the easiest way is to use the current Designer Series Paper Stacks in the seasonal catalogue as your starting point: each sheet measures 4.5"x6.5" so it makes the score measurements really easy: 1", 2", 3" and 4" on the short side, and 1", 1.5", 2", 4.5", 5" and 5"5 on the long side. Simply score, punch stick and done - you can make a cracker in just a couple of minutes. Add a minute or two more to add some decoration and you could be mass producing these in no time. If you don't use the paper stacks, any designer paper cut to the basic measurement will do; I would avoid using solid colour standard cardstock as this is much thicker and whilst your envelope punch board will punch through a double thickness of cardstock, it is quite hard work and you risk damaging your punch and board as it isn't really designed with this in mind.

In my video, I also show a boxed set of crackers that I made using the Winter Frost Designer Series Paper Stack - here is the photo again:

This box set would make a lovely gift for someone - if you would like to make a box for your crackers, the dimensions you will need are as follows:

Box Base: Sheet of cardstock (I used Bermuda Bay) 8 1/4" x 8 1/2". Score at 1 1/8" and 7 1/8" across the short side, then rotate through 90 degrees and score at 1 1/8" and 7 3/8" on the long side.

Box lid: Acetate window sheet size 8 1/4" x 8 1/2". Create a shim for your score board using an offcut of window sheet, then with your shim in place, score the lid to the same dimensions as the base above (1 1/8" and 7 1/8" across the short side, 1 1/8" and 7 3/8" on the long side). This will ensure your box lid fits snugly.

I then decorated my box with some embossed die cut snowflakes using the Festive Flurry Stamp Set and Framelits, Bermuda Bay ribbon and a Frosted Finishes embellishment.

So without further ado, grab your paper stack and watch my video tutorial and start making your Christmas crackers today!

Stampin' Up Supplies Used:

Kathy James
Kathy JamesUnited Kingdom
11/17/2013 7:22:57 PM #

Another excellent video - you make it look so easy.  Can't wait to get mine.  I will be making crackers for my New Year's Day family
get together.

11/17/2013 7:41:47 PM #

That's because it is! Glad you liked the video - the punch board is just so versatile.

Bronwyn
BronwynNew Zealand
11/22/2013 8:18:11 AM #

Thanks so much for the video and sharing your project with me.  I had followed someone else's dimensions but never clicked they were the same dimensions as the stacks!  Duh!  So thanks for that eye opener Smile

11/25/2013 3:49:49 PM #

You are welcome Bronwyn! I love more complicated projects too, but sometimes a nice easy one is the order of the day and at Christmas time you have to have a few things you can do without thinking. I have 60 of these crackers to make for a Seniors Christmas lunch this week Smile xx

Penny Hanuszak
Penny HanuszakCanada
12/17/2013 9:44:59 PM #

Simply loved your detailed and easy to watch video on these Christmas Crackers.  I was blown away by how easy they were.  Thanks so much.  I have made some and done a post on my blog and have given you credit and a link for inspiring me.

12/18/2013 10:00:44 PM #

Hi Penny - so glad you liked the project and video and it inspired you to create your own!

Linda Hunt
Linda HuntUnited Kingdom
3/21/2018 11:43:25 PM #

Just love these crackers Joanne!  Can't wait for my Envelope Punch Board to arrive!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current August hostess code:

CVAQTGE2

Spend Your Bonus Day Coupons!

Spend your £4.50 vouchers earned in July on your Stampin' Up! purchases before 31st August.

Paper Pumpkin Is Coming!